Friday, December 26, 2014

What Is Wrong With Me?



A 24 year old man recently asked me if I was as discontent about being single as he was. He asked if there was something wrong with him. I paused, reflected on where I was 4.5 years ago and found myself being more wise than I actually am. Three things are true of people who see 'all their friends' getting engaged, married and starting families-- 1)there's nothing wrong with you, 2) you are blessed--not cursed and 3) you will find someone to share your journey.


1) There's nothing wrong with you.

As 20 somethings (and any age really) we compare ourselves way too much. Really, how can we help it. Everything is a contest. We vote constantly on what's hot and what's not. We keep up with the latest trends, games, what's making headlines on social media. We retake our selfies dozens of times, apply several filters and touch ups and add hashtags so people will give us a tonne of likes and validate our projected self image. The self image that we carefully crafted and borrowed from our favourite celebs and/or Pinterest pages.

Add to that the pressure of watching most of your friends hitting milestones in their lives. They are purchasing homes, getting married, having babies and posting hundreds of photos a week about it all. All of your photos are selfies. This is for a few reasons--firstly, you're single. You do things on your own. Secondly, as a result of being single, you don't get invited to the family friendly fun things. Your friends think that you're out having adventures, when really, you're watching Youtube videos at Starbucks wishing that you weren't single. 

It is not a deficit towards your character that you are single. In fact, take it as an opportunity to discover yourself without feeling the need to compromise (also known as faking) the things you enjoy in order to win favour with the object of your affection. What motivates you? What fills you up? What do you really enjoy? Do that. I mean, watch Netflix too, but DO something. Live YOUR life. Stop trying to live someone else's life by looking at what they have and thinking you're missing out because you don't have it right now.

2) You are blessed--not cursed 

The best revelation of my 20's as a single woman has been the freedom. Not that I don't want to share my life with someone, nor do I hate children, but the freedom of a single person is vastly different to the freedom of a family. If I wake up tomorrow and want to go to Hawaii (just pretend I have money for that right now), I don't have to discuss it with anyone other than work.  And even with that, though it would be REALLY irresponsible, I could call in sick (or quit) and pack a bag for three days, and just go swimming in Mexico or Australia. I could spend New Years in Paris if I wanted to without having to worry about paying a mortgage or saving for my kid's college. 

I have time to stay up too late at rock shows and eat terrible left overs for breakfast. I can choose to have wine instead of supper and eat french fries on the side. If I want to throw a dinner party that is a little risqué in theme (but not too risky , as I love Jesus), I don't have to worry about what my significant other or their parents might think of me. I sink or sail my own ship for now. 

On a slightly less introspective note, think of all the opportunities you have for impacting other people's lives that you wouldn't have if you were in a long term committed relationship. Commitments take time and investment. They are worth while. Yet, if you are both working full-time, and you have kids, you will have little time for anything else until you get over the baby/toddler stage. Right now you can stop on the street and talk to homeless people for hours--maybe even take them for a hot meal because you alone dictate your schedule. You can choose to eat beans and rice for a month and donate the money you would've spent on fancy groceries to charity. You can chaperone youth trips, and go on short term missions trips instead of vacation--all of which are more trying for those in families. Let's face it, we miss the people we love deeply when we are away from them for long periods of time...get some solo adventuring in while you're free to do it!

 3) You will find someone to share your journey.

This last one is not a cliche. Though I know not everyone gets married, that is not the point. You WILL find someone to share your journey with, you just have to realize that sometimes they are NOT a love interest. I know, at the peak of loneliness that is not what a single person wants to hear. But, my best adventures were the ones that I took on my own to go and see a good friend. I was able to encourage them and feel the richness of love that they have for me. See, people who are in long term committed relationships have a lot more worries than the average single person. Their life is united to another body, mind and soul--and that is a heavy and wonderful burden to carry. Often they feel that your love for them is extravagant when you take the time to adventure with them. Whether that adventure is taking them and their new baby to the swimming pool, or going on a ladies (or men's) only camping trip. The person you share your journey with is likely to change between now and when you find your one true love. Don't wait to enjoy the ride. Go make some memories.

** I'd like to add, if you would like to join my support network and help me in this journey of radical obedience http://www.gofundme.com/cherylfolland follow this link to donate and share. Every little bit helps. **

2 comments:

  1. Very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm glad someone can relate to what I've been through.

      Delete

Feel free to add your voice. Though diversity is respected if comments are deemed inappropriate they may be edited or deleted. Happy posting.